techkenyot.com
techkenyot.com December 11, 2018


Tribune Media scraps Sinclair deal

09 August 2018, 09:16 | Elsie Buchanan

Modal Trigger Getty Images

Tribune Media terminates deal to be bought by Sinclair

Last month, however, Federal Communications Commission Chairman Ajit Pai said that he had "serious concerns" about the deal, saying that Sinclair might still be able to operate the stations "in practice, even if not in name". The company already owned 173 stations in 81 markets.

"In light of the FCC's unanimous decision, referring the issue of Sinclair's conduct for a hearing before an administrative law judge, our merger can not be completed within an acceptable timeframe, if ever", Peter Kern, Tribune Media's chief executive officer, said in the statement.

Sinclair Broadcast Group Inc. wanted the Chicago company's 42 TV stations and had agreed to dump nearly two dozen of its own to score approval by the Federal Communications Commission.

Tribune Media would be on the hook for a $135 million breakup fee, according to the agreement reached a year ago.

Xiaomi Mi A2 Price in India Leaked ahead of Today’s Launch
According to early revelations, the 4GB RAM and 64GB storage of the model will be flawless as the entry point for the new model. The Xiaomi Mi A2 is certainly an interesting smartphone from a company that prides itself with a lower field failure rate.

Sinclair had proposed some revisions to its divesture plan last month, but those terms left Sinclair in control of stations under scrutiny, including in Chicago. Sinclair also refused to sell certain stations that would have helped the deal secure regulatory approval, Tribune claims.

"In an effort to maintain control over stations it was obligated to sell if advisable to obtain regulatory clearance, Sinclair engaged in belligerent and unnecessarily protracted negations with DOJ and the FCC over regulator requirements... all in the service of Sinclair's self-interest and in derogation of its contractual obligations", the suit alleges.

The complaint seeks $1 billion from Sinclair to cover the "lost premium to Tribune's stockholders", plus "additional damages in an amount to be proven at trial".

"We've done everything we could to assist Sinclair in getting through the regulatory process, and it's been a huge undertaking for our company to manage through this prolonged exercise, while also keeping our business running strong", Tribune Media CEO Peter Kern said during an earnings call Thursday morning. Ultimately, the FCC concluded unanimously that Sinclair may have misrepresented or omitted material facts in its applications in order to circumvent the FCC's ownership rules and, accordingly, put the merger on indefinite hold while an administrative law judge determines whether Sinclair misled the FCC or acted with a lack of candor.

The Oscars Are Changing Because You Aren’t Watching
But Wednesday's announcement means there are more opportunities for those films to be recognized during Hollywood's Biggest Night. The next Oscars ceremony will take place in Hollywood on February 24, as previously announced.

The American Cable Association (ACA), which represents small- and medium-sized cable companies, also cheered Tribune's decision.

The Maryland company said Thursday in a prepared statement that the Tribune lawsuit is "entirely without merit".

But the FCC had issues with the way Sinclair was approaching these sales and was concerned the company could buy the stations back after the merger was complete. Sinclair defended the script as a way to distinguish its news shows from unreliable stories on social media.

Indonesia evacuates tourists after Lombok quake kills 91
The Bali and Lombok airports continued operating on Sunday night, according to the director general of civil aviation. In 2004, the Indian Ocean tsunami killed 226,000 people in 13 countries, including more than 120,000 in Indonesia.



Other News

Trending Now

Navas: I have same desire to leave Real Madrid as to die
Real Madrid have confirmed that Courtois will undergo a medical on Thursday morning, before signing a six-year deal and being presented at 1pm local time (midday BST).

‘Secret life’: Rick Gates forced to reveal affair at Manafort trial
His defence team is seeking to pin the blame on Gates, who they say was responsible for day-to-day operations of the business. The case is being prosecuted by the special counsel investigating Russian interference in the 2016 USA presidential election.

5 things to know about the new FIX PUBG initiative
To that effort, PUBG Corp has launched a website where users can track the progress of specific fixes being worked on for PUBG . PUBG Corp doesn't indicate how long the campaign will last, but does promise transparency for the duration.

Over 500 hikers rescued on Bali's Lombok
Hundreds of people in Lombok have been left homeless and are staying in temporary camps amid continuing aftershocks. A Malaysian was among the dead, with another six citizens injured, the foreign ministry in Kuala Lumpur said.

Should Boris Johnson apologise for his comments about burkas?
Johnson is yet to issue a response. "It's not the job of the Prime Minister to tell backbenchers what to do. Armeena added, "If a woman wants to wear a short dress, it is her right and freedom to do so".

NYC reins in Uber with cap on ride-hail vehicles
Gold said the outstanding 40,000 licenses belong to black auto and livery drivers, workers Uber will aim to recruit. A surge in ridership has coincided with increased resident frustration with the local subway system.

Samsung Note 9 to have 512GB internal memory
Unveiled today in NY , the Galaxy Note 9 features a large battery, a Bluetooth-enabled S Pen , and lots of storage. At the other, it's also catering towards the need of business users by upgrading the phablet's S-Pen.

Virat Kohli believe India are close to beating England
Apart from this decision, England's bowling line-up looks set with James Anderson, Stuart Broad, Sam Curran and Adil Rashid. The uncapped Essex seam bowler Jamie Porter again misses out from the squad of 13.

Manchester United fail with Diego Godin approach
The Uruguayan defender would be an alternative to linked names Toby Alderweireld , Jerome Boateng and Harry Maguire . And BBC Sport journalist Stone has now revealed that the Red Devils were always wary of bidding for the 32-year-old.

Priyanka Chopra finally opens up about alleged engagement with Nick Jonas
The Miss World pageant was speaking at the FICCI ladies event on "Challenging the Status Quo and Forging New Path" in New Delhi . Priyanka attended an tournament in Delhi lately and mentioned the potential of hard the established order and forging new paths.